Monday, November 9, 2009

They took the battle, yes, but The War is Not Yet Over

I'm not sure who to be Mad at here.

I went to Battle of the Bands on Friday. It was great fun, but I had have my complaints.

FIRST: Somebody from BYUSA told me there was no filming allowed.

Really? REALLY? I was filming at the request of my friends who were playing in the show, without whom BYUSA wouldn't have any hope of hosting a Battle of the Bands.

IS THERE ANY REASON? ANY REASON at ALL why I can't film? Or do they just enjoy doling out absolutely ARBITRARY rules and regulations? I filmed anyway.

SECOND, they put chairs out everywhere in the ballroom. Chairs.

So you know what? We couldn't get up and dance. We couldn't dance at Battle of the Bands.

You know why? BECAUSE THERE WERE CHAIRS. It's against fire code to have dancing like that when there are isles. Isles created by the freaking chairs!



Fast forward to this morning. I want you to look at this clip from the DU. According to this article, one of the reasons the band that won won was because "the Empirates worked the crowd and got people to their feet".

Then at the end of the article, talking about Can't Stop Won't Stop, "A mob of fans formed in front of the stage, including several students dressed as robots. The students reluctantly took their seats at the request of BYU event staff."

I want to curse. What is this, Footloose? "Stand up, but don't dance!" is what I'm getting here, and I don't like it One Bit.

9 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

I nearly stormed out. Ridiculous

November 9, 2009 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger sara said...

and i'd like to add: we did not "reluctantly take our seats" ever. once we stood up we never sat down. (duh.)

November 9, 2009 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Austin, have you honestly seen the movie Footloose? Honestly? It's very before your time.

I want to go to a CSWS show. The article didn't say what they won.

November 9, 2009 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger David Eff said...

We won very little. A show in the wilk, and we can advertise on campus. But my guess is that's for the campus show, and no other.

Our last show in the wilk was shut down just before the end of our first song. Which happened again, more or less, later on that night.

I'd rather have had a Jamba Juice to soothe my sore throat after I DESTROYED it at the battle.

That said, I'm not that mad. 2nd doesn't suck.

November 9, 2009 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 9, 2009 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

PROFANITIES!!!! - Sarah

November 9, 2009 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 10, 2009 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

BYU=suckfest.

December 21, 2009 at 1:27 AM  
Blogger Luis Merino said...

Chairs!??! At a BATTLE OF THE BANDS!? Double you tee eff!? I went to a BoB back in 2006, even though they thought it would be a good idea to punish bands for random people who decided to crowd surf (which I get, isn't safe)... they still let everyone stand and groove to the music. We're NOT children.

February 11, 2010 at 7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home