Saturday, April 26, 2008

Auteur

This may seem like a diversion from the regular flow of things here at "This Just Happened", but I assure you, it ties right back in.

A couple months ago I left a review on my personal blog for the movie Happy Valley. Maybe you've seen it, maybe you've never heard of it. Either way, you're entitled to your opinion, as am I. It's about illicit drug use in Utah Valley. My opinion was that it was an awful film. Really, really pitiful in a lot of ways. It didn't leave me with any affection for the film-maker, either.

I wrote the review and quickly forgot about it. Then, a couple days ago, a thread of comments began to form that turned into one of the most interesting conversations I've had on this blog. Mind you, not because of the content, but because of the participants.

You just have to read this to believe it. Look at the review of Happy Valley (the last third of my post), then look at the subsequent comments. Unbelievable.

Just to wet your interest, I think Jessica Biel may be reading my blog. Probably not, but the possibility is endlessly funny.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenna said...

WOW. I love internet drama, I must confess. You held your own. I couldn't figure out why that Ron guy felt it so pertinent to defend himself against a college student writing a review. Obviously, he has really low self-esteem.

And since I've been around message boards for...longer than I care to mention, here's a thought: Maybe "Jessica" is really Ron Williams!

The only thing funnier than Jessica Biel herself posting comments is a wounded Ron Williams posting comments behind a girlish moniker. Cracks me up.

You held your own. No better way to smack-talk than to lay down clever, polished (and truthful) rhetoric. Guess Happy Valley wasn't so happy for Mr. Williams after all.

April 27, 2008 at 12:09 AM  
Blogger IngridLola said...

Wow, how funny. . . I can't believe Ron Williams feels he needs to defend his movie by attacking you. Isn't that called mud slinging? Logical fallacy!
Also, I find it a little bit funny that he didn't capitalize his words or check his grammar, it doesn't make him seem very professional.
As for the movie, I saw it last weekend and didn't like it either. The music was crazy--it made the film so melodramatic. The camera work was a little shaky... and the big note cards at the end were cheesy. I thought it was interesting, though, how the film was such a rough cut and there was conversation between Ron behind the camera with the parents, it made the issue seem real and close to home.
But, overall, I think it was a poorly made film that could have been great because of the subject matter.
Oh well. See you guys
Ingrid

May 2, 2008 at 1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home